Finishing some old work…

I had rushed a whole bunch of minis for a convention game last year and then never got a chance to finish them. One of the things I wanted to get done this year is not have half done figures on the board anymore. So I ordered some grass tufts from Australia and they finally started coming in. I sat down and started finishing the basing of my Germans, and the hand full of minis that still needed dry brushing and highlighting. 50 some odd figures later I took some photos before packing a bunch up for a game this morning.

Click on images for larger version, as always.

First up: Some support pieces, two Nebelwerfers and an Infantry Gun. All three of these pieces were fully painted, but not really based. The crew for the IG are magnetized. I finished assembling the Nebelwerfers right as Bolt Action v2 was announced and the template rules were rumored so I simply based the crew separately. 

Next up, crew for various support weapons, including the Nebelwerfers. These guys were fully painted, but needed basing and flocking. all but one are from the Warlord nebelwerfer.

A couple of my Warlord early war German Assault Pioneers. The rest are in the list I’m currently playing so I didn’t have time to finish them up. These guys only had base coats done sine they’re a recent addition to my army. So wash, highlight, base and flock. I started using the grass tufts on these guys, especially they larger bases I use to protect the outstretched equipment.

Some officers and NCOs. I’ve started using a coloring scheme for the minis bases so I can ID them on the table easier. As I’ve been playing more games in dimly lit locations and my eyes get older I’m tired of picking minis up to figure out what they are. Red rims means NCOs and officers. There is a British officer in there from my Ghurkas, he just needed flockign and the base painted so he got tossed in.

I was doing mainly my German figures, but these two American .30 cal teams were on the desk for some reason and all they needed was basing and flocking so they got done too. Light grey bases are for special weapons in squads. Since these guys are redeploying their .30 cal they will be used in Bolt Action squads that can take the .30 cal as a squad LMG.

German assault rifles. most of these were completely painted but a couple were from the last batch I did in the summer and needed dry brushing.

German non-NCO SMGs. In Bolt Action you can often add extra SMGs to a squad, so I had a bunch extra made up.

Panzerfaust armed riflemen. Lately my AT solutions for Bolt Action have been layered, with a vehicle (mostly a Puma) as my main AT weapon, panzerfausts in infantry squads to scare my opponent away and act as a backup AT solution and various artillery as a distant third option (mostly to add pins and stop them from activating). So I needed to finish up some panzerfaust troops. My regular troops will have plain black rims, just something to clean up all the paint on the sides and add a uniform look. Bright colors for what I need to pay attention to, dark for what I don’t.

German rifleman, the bread and butter of any army. I have a LOT of them that need to be finished up, and a bunch that need to be repaired due to Warlord’s shoddy first generation plastics.

That’s about a weeks worth of work, maybe 10-15 figures needed to be dry brushed but it was mostly adding basing, waiting for it to dry. base coating the basing, waiting for it to dry. Dry brushing the basing and adding the flock, waiting for the glue to dry. Painting the rims, sealing with the airbrush and then waiting for it to all dry. Lots of waiting…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *